Thursday, October 25, 2012

Breezing Through

I enjoy Chicago. It's a charming place, a bastion of urban seduction lying at the end of many a long highway stretched across the Midwest. It has all the trappings of a major metropolis, good and bad, but manages to maintain a certain energy that I can't really pin down. It eludes me, so mostly I attribute it to the irresistible influence of the Midwest's charms. It's not as crowded or rushed as New York, but still remains bustling. The people -- and their stories -- are diverse, and yet there isn't the same kind of coldness that gets attached to the anonymity of urban life. Granted, I can only see Chicago with a visitor's eye, but its vibe speaks of openness and space -- enough for everyone to carve out their own lives while remaining comfortably linked to their neighbors, their neighborhoods, their city.

Or maybe it's just the FREE city zoo.

One of the highlights of the road trip as a whole was the meal at Alinea. Our last month in New York, we basically went all out, trying to eat at as many of the restaurants on our bucket list as possible, knowing that fine dining still has some catching up to do on the west coast. That enthusiasm carried over to Chicago. My wallet was not pleased. My stomach was ecstatic. Ultimately, it was worth the hype and the hit to the pocketbook. Even more than the many standouts on the impressive 19-course tasting menu, what stuck with me most was just that it was the most fun I've ever had at a meal. I look forward to when I'll be able to do it again.

Here's a peek at just one of the courses.

We also caught up and caught a meal with our friend Mina. There's something so joyous, and just a touch maudlin, about seeing your New York friends when none of you are New Yorkers any more. But life always moves us forward. And Chicago always treats me well.


After that, it was back onto the I-90 with those august Midwestern skies...

...kicking off the most bewitching leg of our trip that would last the next several days. It started with Wisconsin.

A pleasant lunch stop in Madison. A good friend of mine got arrested here once. I had better luck.

The clouds turn quickly out here.

But the storms turn just as quick.

Next stop, Minneapolis.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the photos. i now know what to expect for the next two or three years if i am accepted into an MFA.

    ReplyDelete