Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May Daze

It seems like I blinked and half of May is already gone. The city's been surprisingly gracious lately (considering the long winter we had), offering sunny days that skew more mild than thick and soupy, and I likes my weather mild. The thunderstorms that have been lurking behind the curtains of clouds the past couple of days suggest that the three (two and a half? Screw it, I'm rounding up) weeks of Spring we got this year are coming to an end, but even the imminent threat of rain showers and rumbling skies aren't enough to dampen the city's, or my own, spirits.

It's been a busy couple of weeks, work-wise, but I somehow managed to squeeze in some extra-curriculars.

When word broke late at night on May 1st that Osama bin Laden had been killed and a crowd started to gather at Ground Zero, I had to head down and see what that scene was like. People celebrate for their own reasons that may or may not be in line with your beliefs, but politics aside, that kind of jubilant unity is something I can wholeheartedly appreciate.








Freedom Tower steadily building up in the back. On a side note, you can see me seeing this here.

Moving on to other things, The Naked and Famous played Terminal 5 a couple weeks back.

They pummeled the crowd with a barrage of 5 of their most popular songs. It was a short but exuberant set, as they were opening for these guys:

Freelance Whales

Foals

(On a side note, all my Terminal 5 pictures start to look the same after a while...) All good bands, but I had gone that night to see The Naked and Famous, so when it turned out that they had added a last minute show that same night at Piano's, a local bar in the Lower East Side, there pretty much was no way I was going to miss it. We had to cut out of Foals early to make it down there, but it was worth it.

Much better seats.




3 comments:

  1. the caption of your linked photo at ground zero says you're 'of new york'. that made me feel sad for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simi Lampert, new facebook friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just died when i saw your melbourne pictures. died. gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete